This post follows up Kyoto Firms To Incinerate Radioactive Waste published last month on SurvivalJapan. Mainstream Asahi newspaper (Japanese version only) reported on October 26 that 7 cities and villages in Kyoto Prefecture eventually withdrew their former acceptance of nuclear waste. These are mainly, beside Kyoto city, along Road 9 heading north-west to Tottori from Kyoto (山陰道, i.e. San-in Road, the “Road in the Shade of Mountains”) : Kameoka, Nantan, Kyotanba (village), Fukuchiyama. The city of Maizuru and the village of Ine, on the western side of Wakasa Bay on the Sea of Japan (“Nuclear Ginza”) also declined to receive the irradiated earthquake waste on second thoughts. The reason for this turnaround is that public safety regarding the levels of irradiation of earthquake rubble could not be guaranteed to the citizens. Kyoto alone had initially accepted to incinerate annually 50,000 tons of waste and eventually declared that it was not acceptable. Fukuchiyama had previously agreed upon 1,500 tons. Meanwhile, in the Soraku district south-east of Kyoto city, not 10 km south of Biwako lake which gives tap water to Kyoto, some villages along the Road 163 (Yamato Highway) such as Kasagi and Minamiyamashiro, as well as the town of Wazuka, answered in a survey that they could receive 70 tons of waste, provided that safety was insured. Wazuka is situated in the middle of wooded mountains surrounded by a ring of golf courses (more than 30): if the Soraku district aims to keep the revenue from their golf patrons, it should think twice before acting on. It could also alienate neighbouring Tsuzuki district and Nara golfers. Besides, tourism will be negatively affected in Kyoto and Nara cultural capital cities if any of Kyoto village or city processes the nuclear waste.
It should be noted that although municipalities retracted, the nuclear disaster minister’s, M. Hosono, new tack is to get regional private sector involved. Therefore it remains unclear whether nuclear waste will hit Kyoto or not by means of companies such as the 4 subsidiaries of TEPCO mentioned in our previous post.
The Asahi article is reproduced hereafter along with a Google automated translation:
京都市は、生ごみや家具類を年間５万トン受け入れられるとしていたが、今回は「受け入れは検討していない」と答えた。市は８月の「五山送 り火」で岩手県陸前高田市の松の薪（まき）を燃やす計画を進めたが、放射性物質の検出で断念した経緯がある。担当者は「現状では、市民に安全性を説得する 材料がない」と話す。
舞鶴市の担当者は「当初は被災地が大変な中、全国の自治体が努力すべきだと考えて手を挙げたが、市民への説明は難しい」と言う。伊根町は 「専門家の意見を聴くといった準備ができておらず、慎重な対応が必要と判断した」。船井郡衛生管理組合も「地元の理解がないと受け入れられない」と説明し ている。
環境省は今回、災害廃棄物を焼却する場合は、放射性セシウム濃度が焼却炉の種類によって１キロあたり２４０～４８０ベクレル以下であれば 問題ないとする指標を自治体側に示した。それでも、「国の基準は根拠がわからない」（亀岡市）との声も出ている。環境省の担当者は「受け入れ困難とした自 治体にもデータを提供し、今後も検討を呼びかけたい」と話している。
Withdraw acceptance quake debris
Seven cities and towns, “difficult to explain to the public”
Acceptance of waste at issue in the earthquake disaster came East, the mayor withdrew the seven policy Funai initially showed a positive attitude. This month, the Ministry review of the “difficult to accept,” replied the like. Behind the fear of radioactive material, it was determined that they can not explain to the public safety.
Intention to withdraw acceptance of the Kyoto Maizuru, Fukuchiyama, Kameoka, Ine-cho, Funai-gun health management associations (to the south, Tamba city today). In a survey conducted in April by the Ministry, was to answer the types and quantities of acceptable waste.
Kyoto, which had accepted 50,000 tons of garbage annually and furniture, was “not considered acceptable,” said. The city in August, “Gozan ceremonial bonfire” pine wood 陸前高田 city in Iwate Prefecture (Maki) promoted the burn plan, there are circumstances in the detection of radioactive material was abandoned. Person is “at present, there is no material to convince the public safety,” he said.
Maizuru city officials “initially in the disaster area is hard, raised their hands but believes that local governments should strive, hard to explain to the citizens,” he says. Ine city is “not ready to hear the opinions of experts and has determined that the prudent action is needed.” Funai-gun health management associations also “unacceptable and there is no understanding of the local” has been explained.
Fukuchiyama originally had 1500 tons per year and if garbage is accepted. Clerk, “the survey process expects rubble, is difficult to support,” he says.
Meanwhile, the eastern regional coalition Sagara (city only, Kasagi town, village 南山城) is to survey respondents can accept 70 tons of rubble. Person is “a disaster from O互I様 it, to accept as possible. Of course, it is prerequisite to ensure the safety,” he said.
Ministry of Environment Now, if the incineration of waste disasters are indicators that local authorities are shown in the following problem if the 240-480 Bq per kg depending on the type of incinerator concentration of radioactive cesium. Still, “do not know the basis for national standards” (Kameoka) and they have a voice. MOE officials “to provide data to local governments and difficult to accept, consider further appeal to” he said.